Transitioning between year groups and to a new school can be a difficult time for all children. All children will be given the opportunity to meet their new teacher through transition days. Support given to children with SEN during this transition period will be more personalised.
For children who are transitioning to Reception from Nursery, their teacher will go and visit them in their familiar setting.
For Year 6 children who are moving to another school, we will contact the school SENCo to ensure that they know about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school. All records about your child will be passed on as soon as possible.
SEN Specialist Expertise
External Specialists and Other Bodies.
The school enjoys good working relationships with a wide range of people who provide services to children with SEND and their families.
The external specialists may:
- Act in an advisory capacity.
- Extend expertise of school staff.
- Provide additional assessment.
- Support a child directly.
- Suggest statutory assessment is advisable.
- Consult with all parties involved with the child.
- Durham SEND Information, Advice and Support Service
- Speech & Language Therapists (through Health provision and through Community of Learning SLA)
- Educational Psychology/Emotional Wellbeing and Effective Learning Team
- School Counsellor and Parent Support Advisor – both through the CoL
- Other Local Authority specialists through traded services (i.e Cognition and Learning; Autism & Social Communication teams)
How we secure specialist expertise
Our Additional Needs Budget is used to support children and young people with SEN.
This is used to support children and young people with SEND by:
- Improved pupil: teacher ratio
- Purchase of additional resources to support specific outcomes for pupils
- Tracking and monitoring of achievement
- Targeted intervention and support programs
- Early identification and assessment
- Improvement ICT resources – iPads/Laptops
- Continuous CPD for all staff
- Purchase of Service Legal Agreements to provide additional specialist and targeted support
If a child has complex special educational needs, we could also receive additional funding from the Local Authority to meet the agreed outcomes.