At St Mary Magdalen’s RC Primary School we recognise how important a successful transition is to our pupils with additional needs.
We work in partnership with our feeder secondary schools to provide an enhanced level of transition for those who we feel would benefit from this. We ensure that all pupils’ needs are met to ensure a smooth transition. This may take the form of additional visits for pupils, one to one / small group working with secondary school staff or pupil mentoring from secondary schools.
The period of transition depends on the individual needs of the pupil. Secondary school colleagues will attend Annual Reviews to meet the current class teacher, parents and most importantly the pupil. We have found this strategy particularly useful in easing any worries or concerns parents and pupils may have. We are particularly keen to involve parents/carers as much as possible in their child’s transition to secondary school. School staff will take opportunities to work alongside parents/carers to visit secondary schools in advance of secondary placement applications being submitted to the Local Authority. SENCO and/or class teacher will liaise closely with the SENCO and Pastoral manager of Secondary schools.
This ensures parents/carers can make the most informed placement decision for their child. When a secondary school has been allocated to the child, parents are fully involved and consulted at all stages of the transition process.
Children starting our Reception Class are provided with the following opportunities:
- Parents’ Information evening in Summer Term
- Children’s visits to Reception Class in the Summer Term
At St Mary Magdalen’s R.C. Primary school we have a flexible approach and additional visit opportunities or multi-agency meetings can be organised if required.
In order to ensure a smooth transition for nursery children :
- Our reception teachers visit nurseries during the term prior to the children starting school. During these visits, teachers meet the pupils and have valuable discussions about the children with nursery staff.
- There is a visit for the children during the summer term, where the children meet staff.
- Parents meet the staff and have the opportunity to ask questions and share valuable information with the class teachers during the parents evening in the summer term prior to your child starting.
- Additional visits are arranged for pupils who have specific needs which require a little more support.
- When pupils are already involved with other agencies, liaison takes place. This could be in the form of a report, a telephone conversation or a meeting where parents are invited.
- A buddy is assigned to children when they begin school. (The buddy is a pupil from the current year 6 who will support the new starters in September during play times and dinner times).
Primary – Secondary
We support all transition arranged by our secondary schools to ensure that our pupils feel happy In their transition. This includes:
- Pupil visits to their feeder secondary schools in both year 5 and year 6.
- Transition visits from members of staff from the secondary schools.
- Year 6 teachers visit staff in our secondary schools to talk about our pupils and their needs.
- For children with specific needs, meetings can be arranged between staff from both schools, parents/ careers and other agencies.
- Special needs staff from both schools meet to discuss needs of our pupils.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.